The waitlists for families seeking to adopt a child from Korea are very short and many healthy toddler boys are currently waiting to be matched with their forever families!
- Psychological evaluations for prospective adoptive parents are now required. The details for the evaluation are as follows:
- A personal interview with a licensed psychologist or psychiatrist (only one meeting is required).
- Two tests must be administered. These tests may be chosen by the practitioner.
- The doctor will need to write a comprehensive report and recommendation based on the interview and test results, and must include 1) the reason for choosing the particular tests- demonstrating and supporting subjective opinion with objective data, and 2) the practitioner’s license number.
- The document should be notarized and sent directly to AAC.
2. Post-placement supervision is now required for one year after homecoming. Social worker’s reports will be due monthly for the first 3 months after arrival, and again at 6, 9, and 12 months, for a total of 6 reports. Families will continue to provide Family Progress Reports and photos at 2, 5, and 9 months after homecoming.
3. Korea’s MOHW has stated that as of March 31, 2014, homestudies must be performed by Hague Accredited agencies only.
In 2013, AAC welcomed home 11 children from Korea.
This year, as of April 30, 2014,
- 11 children have come home;
- 3 families are waiting for the court’s final approval;
- 1 family has a court date set in May;
- 3 families have EP approval and are waiting for their court date to be set in Korea;
- 6 families have been submitted to the MOHW and are awaiting EP approval; and
- 11 families’ files have been sent to ESWS for translation in preparation for EP submissions
While these numbers may not seem terribly impressive, they do indicate an improvement in Korea’s exit process. We hope that the trend will continue to improve, and more children will soon be united with their families!
PS~ Remember to mark your calendar to join AAC at our 20th Anniversary Picnic
Saturday, July 19th
at the Berthoud Town Park from 11:00am -2:00pm.
We’re expecting some very special guests- including you!