China Program Information and Requirements
- Prospective adoptive parents must be at least 30 years old at the time their dossier is sent to China. The age difference between the child being adopted and the younger individual in a married couple can be no more than 50 years.
- For couples with no previous marriages, the couple must be married at least 2 years. Couples where either husband or wife has had a previous marriage (not more than 2 each) must be married at least 5 years.
- China will accept applications of single heterosexual females. Single prospective adoptive mothers may have no more than two children under the age of 18 living in the home. The youngest child in the home must be at least 6 years old. The age difference between the adopted child and a single mother can be no more than 45 years.
- China will not accept certain lifestyles of adoptive parent/s. Prospective adoptive parents should be in good physical, emotional and mental health, and should have a BMI of less than 40%. China also has additional health restrictions, so please contact A.A.C. for more information.
- Married couples must have a minimum annual household income of $10,000 per household member including the child they wish to adopt. Single mothers must have annual income of at least $10,000 per household member including the child that will be adopted PLUS an additional $10,000. Married couples must have a net worth of $80,000 and singles must have a net worth of $100,000.
- China will not accept applications from individuals who have a history of alcohol abuse, prescription drug abuse, or any use of "street drugs" such as: marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamines, opium and heroin.
- Prospective adoptive parents may not have any serious criminal history. Prospective adoptive parents that have had minor offenses should contact A.A.C. for a case by case evaluation.
- China will not accept applications from prospective adoptive parents that have a history of domestic violence, sexual abuse, child abuse or abandonment.
- You must travel to China to finalize the adoption (usually a 14-day trip).
Waiting/ Special Needs Programs:
- The Waiting Children program offers adoption for children with a variety of special needs ranging from mild to severe.
- Waiting children may range from 1 to 13 years old.
- AAC places an average of 50 special needs children per year from China.
- It takes an average of 10-14 months to complete an adoption from the time the child is identified to the child coming home.
- Grant assistance may be available. Please call AAC for more details.
- Special permission from the country may be obtained for parents who do not fit program requirements.
- Profiles for AAC's waiting children are posted. AAC also has access to the CCCWA’s shared list of waiting children.
NOTE: These requirements are subject to change at any time by either country or agency. Any current changes will be listed at the Intercountry Adoption site.